Alameda County Housing & Community Development Department is seeking qualified applicants to join our team as Housing & Community Development Specialists through the County Temporary Assignment Pool. Please share this announcement with your networks via email and/or LinkedIn.
Alameda County Housing & Community Development
Temporary Assignment Pool (TAP) Positions
Job Title: Housing and Community Development Specialist TAP
Organization: Alameda County Housing and Community Development Department (HCD)
Location: Hayward and Telecommuting
Salary: Between $38.96-$46.53 per hour, depending on qualifications
End: December 31, 2020, and may be extended as needed, up to 18 months total
Hours: 37.5 per week/75 per pay period
These are temporary positions.
HCD administers multiple sources of funding for affordable housing and homeless programs and projects, and as such has many different roles. The primary funding sources for HCD programs and projects are the federally-funded Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), HOME Investment Partnership Act funding, Housing Opportunities for Persons with HIV/AIDS (HOPWA), and Continuum of Care Programs (including Supportive Housing Program (SHP) and Shelter Plus Care), state-funded Homeless Emergency Aid Program (HEAP) and California Emergency Solutions and Housing (CESH), and locally-funded Alameda County Affordable Housing Trust Fund and voter-approved Measure A1 Affordable Housing Bond. HCD also anticipates receiving one-time funding related to COVID-19 from state and federal agencies.
HCD currently has two openings for temporary Housing and Community Development Specialists (HCDS). These positions will be part of a team managing programs and projects that address affordable housing and homelessness issues throughout Alameda County, including implementing programs and projects in the Unincorporated County. The team will coordinate regularly with relevant County departments, occasionally city staff of neighboring jurisdictions, community stakeholders, and community-based organizations providing services. These positions will support contract development, oversight and invoicing, program and project development and implementation, and related data and outcome tracking and reporting. These positions may also help manage programs and projects funded with one-time funding related to COVID-19.
Required Abilities, Skills & Experience:
- Must possess a cell-phone, home computer and internet connection (with Microsoft Suite and Windows 8 or newer), and be able to work from home as allowed
- Organized and detail oriented
- Possess critical thinking abilities
- Knowledge of affordable housing, community development, homelessness and/or criminal justice
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, other presentation programs, internet research and all general office machines
- Professional oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Good interpersonal skills
- Sensitivity to working with people of different cultural backgrounds from the community
- Interest in Community Development, Affordable Housing, Homeless and Special Needs issues
The equivalent of one-year full-time experience as a Housing and Community Development Specialist I in the Alameda County classified service.
Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in city, regional or urban planning, public administration, public policy, real estate, economics, sociology, or a closely related field. If Bachelor’s degree is in a related field, applicant must show academic studies nexus to housing and community development.
The equivalent of two years full-time program development, planning or administrative experience in a housing, community development, homeless, or related service-enriched housing programs.
Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in city, regional or urban planning, public administration, public policy, economics, real estate, sociology, or a closely related field may be substituted for one year of the required experience. If Master’s degree is in a related field, applicant must show academic studies nexus to housing and community development.
Incumbents may be required to possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License and may be required to drive in the performance of duties. Incumbents may be required to attend night and/or weekend meetings. Incumbents may be required to work from home utilizing their own personal computer and cell phone.
The Alameda County Housing and Community Development Department is located in Hayward. During the Shelter in Place order, the selected candidate will be asked to work from their own home using their own personal computer. After the Shelter in Place order is lifted and it is safe to return to work, the selected candidate will work with the rest of HCD staff at the office in Hayward.
These are full time positions working a maximum of 75 hours in any two week pay period. HCD is open from 8:30 to 5:00 each day, with flexible work schedules allowed.
TAP employees may be eligible for medical, dental, and Share the Savings benefits upon meeting established criteria that will be explained by County Human Resource staff when offered a position. TAP employees do not receive pay for vacations, holidays, etc.
County Online Application Instructions
- Once an account is set up, complete the application template, save it to your account, print and/or save a PDF of your completed application.
- This application is part of the examination process. Your answers will determine your eligibility to participate in the next phase of the selection process.
- Before submitting your application to the County of Alameda, it is your responsibility to ensure correctness of all information submitted in the application.
- If you would like a copy of the application for your records, it is your responsibility to print a copy of the application.
- You are required to provide a valid email address. Our staff will contact you via email and therefore without a valid email address, you will not be contacted regarding your application.
- PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION COMPLETELY
- Clearly describe your qualifications in detail. Credit cannot be given for education, training, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities that you fail to indicate. If minimum qualifications are dependent upon education describe educational nexus, as needed.
- Do not leave any answer spaces blank; if a question does not apply, write “N/A”.
- Although you may attach a resume to further describe your qualification, it does not substitute for completing the application form. An incomplete application form may result in disqualification. Do NOT write “see resume” in your work history or responses to supplemental questions.
- Failure to comply with these instructions may result in disqualification.
Then submit the application and a cover letter summarizing your skills, education, experience and why you wish to be considered for the position(s) to HCDAdmin@acgov.org as soon as possible. Please include your name and “HCDS TAP” in the subject line of the email. First review of submissions will be on April 15, 2020. Video interviews will be scheduled for the week of April 20th. If selected, additional paperwork will be required to complete the application process.